I love big, beautiful, bright eyes that sparkle and long lashes that curl up to your brow bone. My beautiful friend Heather has them. The girl has lashes for days. I swear she can sleep a total of three hours a night, wake up, swipe once with a mascara wand and have lashes out the HERE —>And brightness? Yeah, a brightness rivaled only by the sparkle of a diamond in the sun. Get the picture? Unfortunately, I was not blessed with any of those features (sad face). We always want what we don’t have, right? Therefore, I use makeup tricks to fake said big eyes so I can be on par with my gorgeous bestie. Did I mention she has the most amazing eyes ever? Well it’s worth saying twice. Oh, and her child was also blessed with the eyes of a goddess. Lucky bums.
No, I am not a MUA (makeup artist) and I have mad respect for what they do. That said, I still have to wear makeup and it has to be easy. Here’s how I fake it without a bunch of complicated steps or expensive products.
FIRST-Start with fresh, clean eyes! Maybe it’s just me but on occasion I don’t get all of the gunk off of my eyes when removing my makeup and sometimes the residue left on my lower lash-line lingers. Trust me when I say your bright, eye popping makeup won’t be quite as bright if you’re working over yesterday’s eyeliner.
For this particular post, I used Urban Decay’s Naked Basics Pallet which you can get HERE…
1. Hydrate & Prime. Everything goes on smoother and stays in place longer when you use a good moisturizer and prime your lids before applying your eye shadow. I like this eye cream by CereVe and this primer by Urban Decay.
2. Use a lighter shade of shadow in the middle of the eyelid, near the lash line. I use my finger to tap VENUS right to the middle of the lid. I’m a barbarian, I know. If you must…use a brush. If it’s 7 am and I’m doing eye makeup I get a little lazy.
3. & 4. Use a deep color to define the crease in your eyelid. With shadow crease brush, press FAINT into the crease and lightly under the lower lash line. Then swipe the brush back and forth like a windshield wiper. I am not precise when doing this. Not purposely or anything…I’m just not that perfect. No worries, we will be blending.
5. & 6. Blend with BIG FLUFFY BRUSH- This is important. Don’t blend and everyone will see all of the sloppiness we’ve been doing. Blending blurs all of those imperfect lines, top to bottom!
7. Line your waterline with a light shadow. Putting black liner on the bottom can intensify your eye but if you are going for big and bright, go light. I prefer powder because it just seems to POP more. My opinion. This time I used VENUS again.
8. Lightly line your upper eyelid. I use a fat liner like THIS by L’Oreal Paris.
9. Intensify the line– use a teeny-tiny brush (that’s the proper name) and CURVE from the basics pallet. Lightly pressing, following the line you just made. This is for folks like me who can’t draw a straight line to save their life. See, foolproof.
10. Curl-Mascara-Curl-Mascara until your heart’s content. I do this many times if I’m not wearing false lashes because, as we all know, my lashes are little and wimpy. I love Perversion by Urban Decay and you can get two tubes for the price of one at Ulta. Amazing.
SOMETIMES I put on false lashes to really turn up the wow factor but that is for another time…and another post 😉