Bye Zoodles, Hello Cabbage Noodles!
Loving noodles while being gluten-free and low carb is a really special kind of love. The kind of love that makes you feel sad and unfulfilled a lot. So when “zoodles” came into existence there was a moment completeness within me that had been asleep for a long time.
Summer zoodle lovin’. Happened so fast.
Zoodles with Marinara, Garlicky Alfredo, Deconstructed Hemp Pesto! But then, just like a summer romance, it was gone. I guess that’s what you can expect when you are in love with a seasonal vegetable (#storyofmylife).
Girl Meets Cabbage
I’m Polish, so let’s just say that I already have a long-standing relationship with cabbage, but this?!? Who would have thought that cabbage would swoop in and make my noodle-loving dreams come true? Not me, but I’m so glad it did.
It’s like a fancy pasta dish, only without the need for fancy pasta! Creamy goat cheese (if that’s not your thing—feta) and caramelized shallots all tossed together with bougie mushrooms and olive oil to form a super light, deliciously flavorful bowl full of veggie goodness.
Did I mention how sturdy cabbage noodles are? They don’t fall to pieces when they get a little sauced and they will twirl effortlessly in the prongs of your fork.
Cabbage Noodles 🍜with Shiitake Mushrooms, Lemon & Goat Cheese
Cheers to the first of many cabbage noodle nights in our future.
My best advice for getting this cabbage noodle’d is to half and core the cabbage, then remove the outer leaves a few at a time.
Then, slice a stack into long strips and move on to the next stack.
You can also slice up bunches of these and store them in the fridge for the week.
Cabbage has an excellent refrigerator-shelf life.
Saute everything and add in your parm and lemon juice!
Then, top it with your goat cheese and swirl it around.
SO LIGHT & FRESH.
- 3 cups Cabbage, sliced into strips (about 1/2 head)
- 1/8 cup water
- 1 to 2 tbsp Olive Oil, or butter!
- 1 shallot, diced
- 2 cloves Garlic, minced
- 2-3 oz Shiitake Mushrooms, sliced, or mushrooms of choice
- 1 tsp Smoked Paprika
- 1/4 cup Parmesan Cheese
- 1 tbsp Lemon Juice
- 2 oz Goat Cheese (or your fave soft cheese)
- Chopped Parsley to garnish
- Pinch of Salt
- Cracked Black Pepper, to taste
- In a large skillet over medium heat, combine shredded cabbage "noodles" and 1/8 cup water and cover to steam, stirring frequently.
- Once the noodles begin to soften, transfer to a bowl and set aside.
- In the same skillet, saute the garlic and shallot in olive oil (or butter) until soft and fragrant. Add the mushrooms and smoked paprika and continue to cook until their water is released.
- Fold the cooked cabbage into the onion and mushroom mixture and turn heat to medium-low.
- Stir in parmesan cheese, add lemon juice, and season with PLENTY of salt and pepper.
- Serve hot with hunks of goat cheese and chopped parsley.
Makes two BIG servings of cabbage noodles, but this recipe doubles easily!