The Smoothie Bandwagon…
has come and gone and come back again multiple times in my average length life. Anyone remember the SlimFast shake craze? I do. I was crazy about it. Blame my pageant days. Don’t worry, it wore off.
Then there was the fruit smoothie epidemic in college. We loved cramming a ton of frozen berries and bananas in a blender to create the healthiest milk/yogurt concoctions we had ever seen. Why did I, a bright eyed dietetics student, not see the impending sugar high that I would soon crash from? I dunno, maybe I was blinded by the previous sugar high?
Years later my ears perked up at the new trend hitting blenders. Vegetables… in smoothies?? Excuse me while I gag. But in a moment of desperation to fit back into my skinny jeans I gave it a whirl and…it didn’t suck! I was back on the bandwagon, baby! Still not in my skinny jeans, but I was drinking spinach like a champ.
After that failed miserably I went back to the boring, smoothie-less routine of healthy eating and exercise for the bajillionth time. Yup, I had given up on smoothies for the last time. They were too high in calories and not satisfying, I like to chew my food. Call me old fashion.
So why am I back on the bandwagon?
I have finally found a smoothie that isn’t dripping with guilt and 300 calories of carbs. Honestly, it’s kind of embarrassing that it took me this long. Here is a nice little list of pros to sway you:
1. It’s “lite” meaning if you want to pair it with a solid food item you won’t feel like you are gorging yourself.
2. You can really squeeze in some veggie servings. I love cucumber and spinach because it is full of water and mild in flavor.
3. Protein Powder is versatile nowadays and you can find some yummy ones that use stevia for sweetening instead some of those not-so-nice non-nutritive sweeteners. (I’m looking at you, sucralose!)
4. It doesn’t taste like vegetables. Trust.
5. You will seriously feel better after consuming this green monster. When I don’t have my smoothie consistently I see it in my skin, mood, and digestion. I took my blender and a cooler of ingredients on vaca. No Joke.
Get your blenders ready because here comes the recipe…
In this order:
- 1 cup Milk (dairy or non-dairy, your choice. I like cashew because cashews are delicious)
- 1/2 or 1 scoop of your favorite Protein Powder. Jay Robb has some great ones. I like THIS or THIS
- 1 to 2 tbsp PB or PB2 if you want a little flavor and texture. I do the PB2 because it keeps the kcals in check
- Sweetener to taste. I use THIS powdered stevia
- 1 good chunk of Cucumber
- 1 generous handful of Baby Spinach. Kale works too but gives a more of a rough texture. If you are feeling adventurous dandelion greens are pretty super, too.
- 1 cup ICE *too much ice is not enjoyable. Stick to a cup, seriously.
And that is it! This recipe is not set in stone. Try it, change it, make it your own!