Carve out 60 seconds of your day to bake a super soft and moist keto cake in the microwave because baby, you’ve earned it!
Mug Cake or Mug Fake?
Because honestly, I’m not impressed anymore.
Who wants to waste calories and carbs on an eggy lump of sweetened almond flour? Not me. Not you. Not in 2020! This is the year we stop choking down subpar mug cakes. I don’t care how good the macros are!
Macros be damned! We demand cake!
But also, macros are important-ish. Which brings us to the fact that this particular cup-cake does take a little effort in the way of healthy ingredients and method. Again, I promise you it’s worth it to have a hot little cup of steamy cake goodness to really round out a long day of adulting.
And it’s still better than eating a full-on cake, so win-win?
Lean, Mean, Mugcake Machine
So the major players in this keto mug full-o-magic are almond flour, golden flaxseed meal (reground to perfection), egg yolk, cream, and then a few other flavor enhancers like sweetener and vanilla extract.
Due to the magic of photography, this mug looks huge. It, in fact, is not. But a small mug doesn’t mean an unsatisfying cake experience.
It’s not the size of the mug, it’s what’s inside that counts!
Meaning soft cake goodness scattered with fresh berries. Oh, and a dollop of cream cheese, but in the end I opted for the cream cheese on top.
Go ahead and make this mug cake in a regulation-size coffee mug if you’d like to. It will take up less space but be equally as magnificent.
Or get some cappuccino mugs because being fancy is fun! And so is Amazon Primin’ stuff!
Dust powdered Swerve with boundless disregard and let a dollop of sweetened cream cheese melt into it’s cup-cakey goodness.
When I say I feel like spooning, this is actually what I’m referring to…
Want more Quick Bites? Click These!
Vanilla Mug Cake
- 2 tbsp +1 tsp Almond Flour
- 2 tsp finely ground Flaxseed Meal, or sub chia seeds or more almond flour
- 1 tbsp Erythritol or Swerve
- scant 1/4 tsp Baking Powder
- 1 Large Egg Yolk
- 1 tbsp Heavy Cream, or whole milk
- 1/2 tsp Clear Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 tsp Lemon Juice, or Apple Cider Vinegar
Strawberries and Cream
- 1 medium Strawberry, diced
- 1 tbsp softened Cream Cheese, or Greek yogurt
- 1-3 tsp Powdered Erythritol, to taste
- Powdered Erythritol or Swerve, to dust
The berries and heavy cream make this mug cake super soft, so don't skip them if you can!
- Grind both the 2 tbsp + 1 tsp Almond flour and 2 tsp flaxseed meal in a coffee grinder or bullet blender. This is important for texture!
- In a small bowl combine the ground flours, scant 1/4 tsp baking powder, 1 tbsp sweetener and mix well.
- Add 1 egg yolk, 1/2 tsp vanilla extract and lemon juice, and 1 tbsp heavy cream. Beat until smooth, about 30 seconds.
- Spray a small coffee mug (I used a Cappucino size) with cooking oil and add the batter. Fold in diced strawberry and microwave for 60 seconds.
- Meanwhile, stir together the cream cheese and sweetener.
- Top mug cake with sweet cream cheese and dust with powdered sweetener. Enjoy!
Egg Yolks & Whites: If you hate wasting egg whites, save them to add to omelets or quiches!!
Cup Size: I use a small cup since this cake won't rise like ones with egg whites (but it's softer!). You can use a regular size mug and it will just fill about halfway!
Nutrition InformationYield 1 Mug Cake Serving Size 1 mug full!
Amount Per Serving Calories 278Total Fat 25gCarbohydrates 8gNet Carbohydrates 5gFiber 3gProtein 8g