Gah, the sun. I miss it so so so much. How shiny it was. And hot. It was so delightfully hot! Remember when it would come out and stick around until it was time to put away the wine and tuck yourself into bed?
Unfortunately, every year, after I’ve been seduced by the spoils of summer, it all comes back to me in one big, depressing whoosh. Fall (and winter) is an endless eternity of dark, sucky darkness.
I’m in mourning and dealing with it like any sane human would: baking donuts, sleeping all day, and whining about it ad nauseam.
That’s the “whoosh” part.
OTHER than trying to resist the urge to carb-load and keep myself awake past 8 pm, I’ve found that actually getting into my bed is a real struggle. What is it about my awkwardly shaped Ikea couch that is so damn appealing? Nothing! Yet I’ve slept there until midnight for the last week.
OK, I’ll stop complaining but only because It’s 9:30 pm on a Wednesday and it’s about time for me to put my grandma pj’s on and go sleep on the couch.
Low Carb Scalloped Cauliflower
aka Cheese Casserole
aka The Ultimate Comfort Food
…because you can’t very well sleep your life away without a belly full of cheesy goodness.
This recipe is the Low Carb BOMB dot com but the photos were
taken at sunset (so basically 4:30 pm) and not my best work.
BAKE that casserole until it’s hot and bubbly. Tempting you to the brink of
saying “Screw it!” and shoveling a hot spoonful right onto those fragile taste buds.
Have you ever wondered what the broil setting was for on your oven?
It’s to encase casseroles in a melty, cheesy blanket of love
as demonstrated below.
The stringy cheese and tangy cheese compliments the smoky, meaty flavor
of the sautéed portobello mushrooms which you probably didn’t even see
because of CHEESE!!!!
Now I can tell you all day long how amazing this recipe is but why should you believe me?
Believe my girl gang who devoured it in a flash and were down for making it ASAP.
- 1 Head Cauliflower, cut into 1-inch slices
- 1 8 oz pkg Cream Cheese
- 1 8 oz pkg Shredded Sharp Cheddar Cheese
- 2 c. Milk- I used Cashew Milk because I always have it on hand
- 2 tbsp Butter + 1 tbsp to saute the mushrooms
- 1 cups Baby Portobella Mushrooms, diced
- 1 tsp Smoked Paprika
- 1 tsp. Garlic Powder
- ½ tsp Sea Salt
- Heat oven to 350
- Melt 1 tbsp butter in a small pan and add mushrooms. Saute until they begin to soften, add smoked paprika and stir. Set aside.
- In a saucepan, bring butter, cream cheese, and milk to a low simmer. Stir constantly until the cream cheese is completely melted and add garlic powder and salt.
- Add three handfuls of shredded cheese (approx 1 cup) one handful at a time, stirring to allow the cheese to melt and sauce to cream. You should have a fist full of cheese left over to top your cauliflower later.
- In a large casserole dish (or two small like I used) layer sliced cauliflower evenly.
- Sprinkle with the sauteed mushrooms.
- Pour the cheese sauce over the cauliflower evenly and tap gently to allow settling.
- Cover and bake for 60 minutes.
- Remove from oven, top with remaining cheese and bake uncovered for an additional 10 minutes or broil until cheese is brown and melty.