If you’ve got 20 minutes and an oven, you can be elbows deep in this crusty keto artisan bread! Totally gluten-free, grain-free, and 3g Net Carbs!
Hearty Har Har
Only this bread is no joke!
It’s a VERY serious loaf full of complex flavors and a depth like the freakin’ Pacific!
You might be a light and fluffy bread lover. That’s fine. This bread isn’t for you. This loaf is for lovers of a fat toasted slice of 7 grain-style bread…without all of the gluteny grains!
It’s also for those of you who value your time because this beautiful loaf of artisan keto bread bakes up in under 20 minutes!!!
I was also *highly motivated* to get those cool score marks on top like the artisans do!
Crusty Gluten-Free Keto Bread (In less than 20 minutes!!)
If the smells don’t make you fall in love, the first bite will!
Built Like A Thorough(bread)
Grinding your binders (chia and flaxseed meal) is a must. It might be annoying but it really does matter for the texture and binding power! Just pop in it a bullet blender or my fave coffee grinder and you’re set.
I tried to raise this baby with yeast, but to create a free-form loaf of keto artisan bread that shines with the beauty of a thousand suns, you need a stiff dough.
💡 Yeast doesn’t work that great on stiff keto dough so we use a boatload of baking powder to leaven.
SO the yeast is important for FLAVOR but not for rising. Don’t skip it though because the taste is why we are here!
The Shape Of
Shaping and scoring this bread is really based on your preference here guys. Just know that mine was about 6.5 inches in diameter with a slightly oval shape.
💡 The score marks are necessary because they let some of the moisture escape during baking. No soggy centers here!
Then you bake it with a pan of water (like the artisans do!) and a crazy high heat to get that beautifully browned crust!
See why I compared it to one thousand suns earlier??
Smear it. Slather it. SYRUP IT! It’s your call.
It’s got just a hint of sweetness (like real bread!) but it can be used for savory or sweet toppings.
i.e. this borderline pornographic stacked greek yogurt and blueberry chia jamm’d sandwich…
Who knew bread could be so sultry? WE DID.
Plain, buttered, or sexy and sauced? Maybe dipped in Green Goddess Soup?? Whatever you choose is going to be good.
Pop it in the toaster and it will be even BETTER!
- 1 cup Almond flour
- 1/4 cup Coconut Flour
- 1/4 cup Ground Flax Seeds, reground to a fine powder
- 1/4 cup White Chia Seeds, ground to powder
- 1/4 cup Nonfat Dry Milk Powder, for browning
- 1 tsp Granulated Erythritol, or sweetener of choice
- 1 tbsp Baking Powder
- 1 pack Dry Instant Yeast, for flavor
- 1 tsp Xanthan Gum
- 1 tsp Coarse Salt or Flaked Salt
- 5 large Egg Whites, room temperature
- 1 tsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 to 2 tbsp Hulled Hemp Seeds, Pumpkin Seeds, or Sunflower Seeds
- Heat oven to 475° while you prepare your dough.
- In a coffee grinder or bullet blender, pulse the chia seeds and ground flax seeds a few times to grind. Don't over grind! A few pulses, a shake, and another pulse should do it.
- Whisk together the dry ingredients: 1 cup almond flour, 1/4 cup coconut flour, 1/4 cup nonfat milk powder, ground chia and flax, 1 tbsp baking powder, 1 tsp sweetener, yeast, 1 tsp xanthan gum, and salt. *Optional seeds can be added as well.
- In a separate bowl, beat the warm egg whites and vinegar just until broken, then add to the dry mixture and stir with a silicone spatula until a sticky dough forms.
- If the dough is sticking to your hands, wet with water or a touch of oil. Form the dough into an oval, about 6 1/2 inches, and place on the baking sheet. The uncooked dough will look like the shape of your finished loaf. If it's too tall the center won't cook fully.
- Use a very sharp knife to score the top with a star (4 lines) or pattern of choice. Place both the pan of warm water and the baking sheet in the hot oven and lower the temperature to 450°. Bake until brown and crusty, about 12-15 minutes, then turn off the oven and continue to bake for about 5 minutes, watching for over-browning.
- Let rest for 5 minutes, slice, toast, and enjoy!!!
You will need 1 small pan filled with 2 in warm water, small baking sheet greased with oil or lined with parchment and greased, Room Temperature Egg Whites.
Eggs: If you hate wasting egg yolks, save them! Add to a whole egg for extra creamy scrambled eggs or make a batch of keto ice cream!
Yeast: The function of yeast here is not to rise but for flavor and that AMAZING bread smell! If you are allergic, you can omit!
Bake Time: The bake time is very delicate on this since we are using high heat to achieve crust. Just keep a close eye on the bread and if the center isn't getting done before it's brown, lower it to 350 and lightly cover it with foil to finish.
Nutrition InformationYield 10 slices Serving Size 1 slice
Amount Per Serving Calories 124Total Fat 8gSaturated Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 2gCarbohydrates 8gNet Carbohydrates 3gFiber 5gProtein 6g