It’s that time of year again when people start referring to it being “that time of year” again. I hate it. I hate that I say it, but I say it anyway because it’s a nondescript, small talky, dead air filler that is by no means offensive to anyone. Just irritating.
Believe it or not, I’m a people person.
I also strongly dislike “gosh, it really snuck up on me” and “can you believe it’s right around the corner” because it almost never means anything good, right? It’s like we just skipped over a bunch of awesome stuff and now here we are. The dreaded holidays. Now before you freak the frick out because it’s your favorite time of year, allow me to explain. Just as those the holidays can sneak up on you, so can the subsequent poundage on your waistline that is a result of all the merriment.
Yay! It’s almost-I have nothing to wear and my pants feel too tight on me-season!
I blame Reese’s and mashed potatoes because they are both vegetarian and gluten-free and after a few glasses of holiday wine I have no chill with either.
Okay, now the good news. THERE’S HOPE FOR US CARB LOVING MANIACS. Cauliflower Mash! I know, not that revolutionary. BUT this one is different because it’s not super-duper heavy with a bazillion calories so we can still eat that low carb dessert.
Bring on the pie.
Whipped Cauliflower Mash with Spinach Mushrooms & Fried Sage
Meet your holiday weight maintenance savior.
FRIED SAGE is a thing I learned about from my friend Jez and it’s revolutionary.
She heard read about it in The Forest Feast and suggested I try it and I was all “Okay, yeah sure Jez. A tiny furry fried leaf. Sounds appetizing.” Which was all sarcasm but then I DID try it and OMG.
BRB so I can fry allllll of the leaves.
I don’t know if I did it right, but it felt right.
It’s just really hot oil and a few leaves of sage. Crispy, sagey and delicious.
Fry your garlic, too. That way you have some really fragrant oil left over to wilt your greens with and the flavor is built in. BOOM!
THE MASH: A Love Story
You’ve got to get the cauliflower so tender. That’s part one of the two part trick.
The second part is to use an immersion blender or as I call it, stick blender. Because it’s a stick that blends…
Once it gets really fluffy, add vegetable or chicken stock and sour cream (light or heavy) and blend it more. A handful of cheese never hurts, either.
Have you ever seen cauliflower look so damn much like potatoes?
Top with your wilted greens and fried bits and maybe a drizzle of avocado oil and…
Trendy hipster mashed “potato” bowl.
- 1 Head Cauliflower, broken into florets
- ½ cup Vegetarian Chickn* Broth
- ¼ to ½ cup Sour Cream (light or regular)
- ¼ cup Parmesan Cheese
- 3 cups Baby Spinach
- 5-6 Baby Bella Mushrooms, sliced
- 4 cloves Garlic, sliced
- 3 tbsp Avocado Oil
- 4-5 Sage Leaves
- Salt to taste
- Steam the cauliflower in on the stovetop or in a microwave safe steamer with ¼ cup water until the florets are tender and break apart with a fork. About 6 minutes in a microwave or 10-15 on the stovetop.
- Using an emersion blender, puree the cauliflower until smooth. This can also be done in a food processor.
- Add the sour cream and broth and process with the blender until very smooth. Stir in parmesan cheese and a few pinches of salt.
- In a large fry pan, heat the oil on medium high. Add the sage leaves and garlic to the oil and fry just until they begin to crisp.
- Remove the sage and garlic from the pan and lay on a paper towel. Add the mushrooms to the hot oil, saute lightly and place on the paper towel with remove any excess oil.
- Add the spinach to the remaining sage garlic oil and saute just until the leaves begin to wilt.
- Season with salt to taste and serve with mushrooms, garlic, and sage over a heaping portion of cauliflower mash!
I can’t wait to whip more cauliflower and top it with more fried leaves. Maybe I’ll fry this houseplant that I’m currently murdering and see if that tastes good?