Put on your party hats people,
it’s officially the shortest, sexiest month of the year.
Just kidding. February is irritating. Here’s why!
- The days are getting longer but they refuse to get warmer because the furry rodent who chooses our meteorologic destiny is a masochist.
- Getting bombarded with heart shaped Reese’s AND egg shaped Reese’s is like getting punched in the face twice.
- Target is ruined. See reason #2.
BUT it’s not alllll bad I guess. I can be an optimist. I can get on the bandwagon. *Read all lines dripping with sarcasm*
For starters, genetically modified strawberry monstrosities that are perfect for dunking into various dips are RIGHT up my ally. Organic is cool and all but I can’t get past the size of the berries, if you know what I mean….
Other things in which a single lady with workaholic tendencies loves to participate in are Rom-Com movie marathons (solo) and listening to the best jams (LIKE THIS) while drinking straight bourbon.
Or eating it in the form of whipped cream.
From the tub.
With her classy lady fingers.
BUT since you are here for the recipes, let’s get down to it.
Strawberries, Bourbon Whipped Cream & Brownie Cake Layers
Because loving yourself never tasted so good. Or so bourbon-y.
I honestly don’t know if this bourbon is any good or not but it was a really pretty bottle and I drank most of it while watching Ever After ft Drew Barrymore.
Seemed ok to me.
The “cake” portion isn’t that pivitol in this recipe, therefore I smallecized the photos of the production.
It’s your basic, flourless brownie cake recipe with my thighs in the background.
Laundry day has been postponed and I’ve been reduced to stretchy skirts and swimsuit bottoms.
Here come the boozy glamor shots because once I get behind a camera I go a little nuts…
I mean, why aren’t more people doing this?!?!
You just mix the alcohol into the whipped cream…
It’s NEXT LEVEL GNARLY.
Especially when it’s tossed into a situation with berries and chocolates.
Shhhh. I know.
It’s breathtaking the first time you see it.
Just wait till it’s in your mouth.
I like big berries and I cannot lie.
You won’t even realize you are forking a healthy cake when you are forking this.
It’s that forking good.
After testing a few other brownie-esqe recipes, I found that you get a softer brownie cake with a touch of additional oil, which has been updated in the recipe! #liveandlearn
- 3 tbsp Butter
- 4 oz Low Carb Chocolate
- 6 Whole Eggs
- ¾ cup Granulated Low Carb Sweetener
- 2 tbsp Oil (avocado oil or liquid coconut oil)
- ¾ cup Cocoa Powder
- ½ tsp Baking Powder
- ½ tsp Salt
- 12 Jumbo Strawberries, tops removed
- 2 cups Whipped Cream (I use TruWhip which is dairy free and no HFC)
- 1 shot Good Bourbon
- 2 oz Low Carb chocolate, melted
- 1 tbsp Coconut Oil
- Heat oven to 350 degrees and grease two 6 in round cake pans.
- Melt the chocolate in the microwave by heating for :30 sec intervals, stirring between each. Add the butter, which will melt into the chocolate.
- Beat eggs and sugar together.
- Combine cocoa powder, baking powder and salt. Sift into the egg mixture, stirring until a batter forms.
- Pour the chocolate mix and oil into the brownie batter and fold in. Divide batter between the two pans and bake for 20 minutes.
- While the cakes cool, gently fold the bourbon into the whipped cream and keep it refrigerated until it's time to garnish.
- After the cakes are cool(ish) layer the strawberries and the bourbon whipped cream mixture.
- Top with more berries, cream, and drizzled chocolate!