Are we still loving oily greek veggies? Yes? Great!
Here’s another one.
Creatures of Habit
I will be the first to admit that I thrive in a routine. I live for the expected. I love the “known”. I have no shame staying firmly planted in my comfort zone.
That’s where it’s comfortable, duh.
You might be thinking “Hey, Inspector, that’s probably not healthy” and you are absolutely right. Never venturing out to try new things means you’re likely missing out on an experience, job, food, etc that you could truly love. This was another one of my New Year’s Resolutions: get uncomfortable.
Trying new things is a risk, both with life and food, so let’s start small with some super flavorful Greek Roasted Red Peppers with Hemp Seed Pesto. If that made your brows furrow slightly, good. We are headed in the right direction!
Hemp Seed Pesto
A vegetarian’s lifesaver and a plant version of a complete protein is the nutty little hemp seed. It contains all 9 of the essential amino acids (what protein is made of) that our body cannot produce on its own. Basically, non-negotiables.
Hemp seeds are buttery and nutty and can be sprinkled on basically anything for a nutrient boost. Today, we are blending them with fresh basil, olive oil, and a little Parmesan to make what I like to call “Presto Pesto”. It’s quick and it blends easier than pine nut pesto! Plus, it’s snappy!
This pesto is very similar in flavor to a tradish pesto but it can be a little thicker and less chunky due to the soft and supple nature of the hemp seed.
The important part is that it’s AWESOME for vegetarians who need more protein
and ketotarians who are carb conscious.
I could honestly eat this every night for dinner and live
comfortably-ever-after in my food routine of feta, olives, oils, and veggies.
BUT if this isn’t your food routine/comfort zone, still try it because if
I’m resoluting to try new things, y’all are coming along with me.
Also, this is a great opportunity to get revamp your cauliflower rice.
Put it in the peppers, put the peppers on it, put the pesto all over everything.
OMG seriously. It’s all good.
I really think this little ketotarian dish has something for everyone but if you have
an olive-hater in your midst *cough* my brother, then you can
100% make a few without olives.
Or make them with extra olives, depending on how much you like the person…
- ¼ cup Olive Oil
- 2 tbsp Hulled Hemp Seeds (Hemp Hearts)
- 1 cup Fresh Basil
- 2 cloves garlic (for garlic lovas)
- ¼ cup Grated Parmesan
- Pinch Salt
- 3 Red Bell Peppers, halved and seeds removed
- 3 cups Cauliflower, riced
- 3 oz Harvarti cubed (or sub feta for a saltier cheese)
- 6-8 Kalamata Olives, sliced
- ½ Fresh Lemon
- Combine the pesto ingredients in a food processor and pulse until chopped.
- Heat oven to 400 and arrange peppers and lemon half on a medium baking sheet, skin side down.
- Brush with pesto and roast for 35-45 minutes or until they become soft and the edges begin to darken.
- While the peppers are roasting, heat a skillet over medium and saute the riced cauliflower with 1 to 2 tablespoons of pesto until the cauliflower softens.
- Remove peppers from oven and fill with cauliflower mixture, cubed cheese, olives, and a squeeze of the roasted lemon. Return to the oven to melt the cheese, about 3-5 minutes.
- Serve over the remaining cauliflower rice and drizzled with pesto.