I’ve made the executive decision not to mention that it is week two of 2018.
Because it’s not necessary. No one needs to be reminded that we are barely done with winter, or that your new year’s resolution “bail window” has closed.
The new year’s resolution “bail window” is known as the period of time in which it is acceptable to give up on whatever resolutions you had made. That bail window exists between 1:00 am Jan 1st through 11:59 pm Jan 2nd. After that, you’re screwed.
I don’t make the rules. I also didn’t make a resolution this year so I’m off the hook on a technicality. 2018 isn’t looking so bad, eh?
New Year, Same Pasta Probs.
Are you all aware of the current gluten free, low carb pasta shell situation? The situation being that they don’t exist. You heard me. An iPhone can make your face a 3D talking emoji unicorn but I can’t find a damn non-pasta pasta shell in which to make stuffed shells. A dish I loved and quite frankly miss a lot.
I don’t pretend to understand the world, I just live in it.
Apparently the low carb/gluten free conglomerates who try to shove keto cookies down my throat every five seconds via Facebook ads can’t be bothered with meeting a basic yet crucial need for a stuffable shell. As if we only want sweets? I want savories, too.
Sorry. WE want savories.
SO I figured it out. That’s right. I cracked the code of stuffed shells and no it’s not pasta BUT it’s also not difficult and you don’t have to buy 17 gluten free flours and bake for hours…
Creamy Kale & Pesto Stuffed Pepper Shells
AS you can clearly see, this is not a pasta shell BUT as sure as the sky is blue, this is tasty. You won’t even miss the pasta.
Trust me. I’ll walk you through it.
BEGIN with the bounty that mother nature so graciously provides, low carb of course, because mother nature actually decided to go keto for 2018.
A lot of people didn’t know. She’s private like that.
SPEAKING OF PRIVATES…
It’s not my fault that they look like that.
Once you stuff them it’s TOTALLY fine, but the key is to leave most of the pepper in tact.
Remove a bit of the front and the green stem to really simulate a, ehem, shell.
I didn’t use goat cheese in the title (well, I am debating it) because people have something against goat’s cheese.
I personally love it but if you are not the goat-getting type, sub cream cheese.
I’m not your mom and I am not going to hold your hand.
Just do what feels right.
So you stuff the pepper with this goat cheese, sautéed kale and mushroom mixture.
Then you oil up a good pan and you cook these tiny gifts from God in some really good low carb pasta sauce.
And after you cook them a bit, you sprinkle them with some parm and you broil them.
AND that’s it. That’s the recipe in a (pepper) shell. I ate every last bite of this and I wanted to lick the cast iron…if that tells you anything.
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- 2 cloves Garlic, minced
- 5 Button Mushrooms, diced
- 1 cup Kale, chopped and stems removed
- 4 oz Goat Cheese or Cream Cheese (full fat or light depending on your diet)
- 1½ tbsp Pesto
- 12 Mini Peppers
- 1.5 cups Marinara Sauce (no added sugar)
- ¼ cup Parmesan Cheese
- Fresh torn Basil to garnish
- Heat oil a large skillet over medium heat. Add garlic, mushrooms and kale and saute until the garlic is fragrant and kale begins to soften. Remove from heat.
- Slice the peppers laterally, keeping most of the pepper in tact. Remove the stems.
- Fold the goat cheese and pesto into the kale and mushroom mixture.
- Spoon the filling into each pepper.
- Coat the skillet with non stick spray and add the pasta sauce.
- Arrange the stuffed peppers in the sauce, cover with lid and simmer over medium heat for 10-15 minutes.
- Once the peppers are soft, sprinkle with parmesan cheese and broil for 1-2 minutes or until the cheese is bubbling.
- Garnish with fresh basil.
Weight Watchers Points Plus: 7 pts
Sorry I’ve been gone for a full week guys (Emily and Paul) but I’m back now! My eye is still broken but I’m just going full pirate until it heals.
Toodles till next week,